Design & Technology
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making.
- Investigate things and say how they work, what they do and what they are made of;
- Plan what to make and be able to tell someone else about it;
- Make things from our plans and be able to say what has or has not worked well and why;
- Work with tools and equipment safely to measure and mark, cut and shape, join and combine and decorate and finish different materials;
- Learn about how to use different materials and mechanisms.
- Investigate and evaluate products to help generate ideas for our own work;
- Make detailed plans for our ideas showing what we want to achieve and how to do it;
- Use our plans to make products, evaluating and adapting our ideas as we work;
- Work with tools and equipment safely and accurately to measure and mark, cut and shape, join and combine and decorate and finish different materials;
- Learn about how different materials and mechanisms can be used for a purpose
We ensure the children:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users and critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Children will design and make a range of products
- A good quality finish will be expected in all design and activities made appropriate to the age and ability of the child
Year 5 have made their own torches. We researched existing products, planned our designs and evaluated the making process.
Have a look at these for ideas to try at home:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zb9d7ty - KS1 Bitesize DT
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zyr9wmn - KS2 Bitesize DT
https://www.exploratorium.edu/pie/ideas.html#page - They have an idea library that shows models that could be made
http://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk/ - Lots of Food Technology information
http://www.howstuffworks.com - Some good ideas
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/themes/letsbuildtogether/365-activities - Links to Lego building