Welcome to MFL at St Matthew’s
Here at St Matthew’s we understand how important it is to learn language skills. We believe they contribute towards our understanding of the society and world that we live and work in.
The language we learn at our school is French.
French is one of the very few languages spoken all over the world. There are currently over 275 million people around the world that speak French in 29 countries.
Learning French helps our children to appreciate different countries, cultures, communities and people. In addition it helps to develop the skill to understand and communicate in another language, which the children can use all over the world to make new friends and aid communication for their future. It is important to learn these skills from a young age for our children to respect others.
We believe our children will learn best through interactive, fun lessons which give the children plenty of opportunities to use their language skills with each other. Our language teacher at St Matthew's is called Corinne.
- "I really enjoy learning French with Corinne. The lessons are really fun and we learn lots of actions which help me remember the words. The actions also make it fun to learn. I think it is better than Mandarin because it's easier to remember." - Jack (6P)
- "I like learning French. It is really important to learn languages because it gives us better job opportunities and more knowledge. It's really good for when you're on holiday too, because if you met someone who is French we will be able to say bonjour." - Chadu (6P)
- "The games and songs that we learn in French are really fun and they help me learn. I really like the actions we've learnt for the colours too because they really help me to remember them. The competitions make me really try too hard too. I like the way Corinne always speaks French in lessons because it makes me learn more, but it is hard sometimes. We learn lots about their culture too which is good." - Ruby (5B)
- "French is so fun. The songs are really good and I know I can use it when I meet new people and I can make new friends and speak to them on holiday or when i'm travelling." - Holly (5B)
- "The games and songs that we learn in French are really fun and they help me learn, I also really like when we throw a ball around to ask each other questions. I like the way Corinne doesn't teach us too much at once and gives us smaller amounts of things to learn. We learn lots about their culture too which is good and I know I can use some of my French on holiday and for my future careers." - Joseph (4C)
- "French is fun. The songs and games are really good. Corinne always speaks French in lessons because it makes me learn more, but it is hard sometimes and sometimes I need more English to understand." - Sienna (4C)
- "I really like learning French with Corinne. The lessons are really fun and we learn lots of songs which help me remember the words. The actions also make it fun to learn. ." - Jack (3G)
- "We've spent the last few weeks learning the names of different animals and fruits as well as continuing to practise our greetings. We've played lots of games and learnt lots of songs which have helped me remember them. We've even been testing each other in class too. I like French and know it will help me meet new people on holiday if they speak French." - Mia 3G