Lots of spelling activities covering the full Year 5 word list and spelling patterns.
In English this half term we are looking older literature and focusing on ‘The Secret Garden’ and will be writing our own setting descriptions for our own secret gardens.
The skills we are focussing on in writing are:-
- Using the past tense carefully and accurately
- Including relative clauses in our work to add detail
- Adding noun phrases to create atmosphere and further description
- Using a full range of punctuation correctly (full stops, capital letters, exclamation marks, question marks, colons and inverted commas)
If you wish to practice writing at home with your child during this time, it will be useful for you to focus on some of the above skills.
Further support in English:-
Topmarks: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/7-11-years/spelling-and-grammar (punctuation, spelling, reading activities)
BBC Bitesize: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zv48q6f (Spelling, punctuation and grammar)
Teaching Ideas: https://www.teachingideas.co.uk/writing-fiction/creative-writing-ideas (creative writing ideas)
Grammar: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF3idoSaI6I-2bJcYtq4rvQ/videos (Anchor Education grammar songs to help recalling grammar rules)
Writing ideas: https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html (Inspiration through images and videos for writing)
In Maths, we are working through adding and subtracting decimals to 3 decimal places (e.g. 0.153). We are learning to convert between fractions, decimals and percentages to solve different problems. Times tables are, of course, as important as ever so additional practise of these will be very useful as we get closer to the Summer term.
White Rose: https://whiterosemaths.com/resources/schemes-of-learning/primary-sols/ (maths activities across all topics)
Topmarks: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?Subject=16 (a range of maths games for KS2)
BBC Bitesize: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z826n39 (lots of information for the KS2 curriculum)
TT Rockstars: https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student/17659 (times table practise)
In Science this half term we are looking at changing materials and how this can change their properties and usefulness. This can be tested at home by, for example investigating how materials like water, chocolate or dough change with increased heat or coldness.
- Which animal has the longest gestation period?
- Which animal has the shortest?
- How long is the gestation period of a cheetah?
- How long is the gestation period of a human?
In RE we are starting our topic of Lent; looking at opportunities to start anew.
CAFOD: https://cafod.org.uk/Education/Primary-teaching-resources/Lent (a range of resources focussed on Lent)
CAFOD Kidzone: https://cafod.org.uk/Education/Kidz-Zone
40 Acts of Kindness: https://40acts.org.uk/
Our next art topic is linked closely to our digital images and how we perceive/show ourselves online. You could explore https://fotoram.io/editor/ to play around with different filters, layers and editing techniques to see how photos can be edited to give a different effect.
We have just finished our topic on Ancient Greece but we’ve barely scratched the surface of this amazing period of history. Ancient Greek gods/goddesses, important inventions and discoveries, famous figures in Greek history, what they left behind for us or important historical sites in Greek (like the Parthenon).
- Where is California? (can you include a map?)
- How big is it compared to England?
- What is the climate like?
- Stats like how many people live there?
- What is the average temperature in the summer?
- How are England and California different? How are they similar?
- What celebrities live there?